Are you looking to add more plants to your diet, but not sure where to start? These easy and delicious plant-based recipes are perfect for beginners! From black bean tacos to a decadent chocolate cake, there’s something for everyone to enjoy.
The benefits of plant-based eating
Eating a plant-based diet is more than just the latest trend — it’s also part of a mindful lifestyle that pays off in so many ways! Not only can switching to plant-based meals make you feel physically healthier, but it also helps support sustainable living, too. Plant-based eating eliminates the need for raising animals for food, meaning fewer resources are used in production and fewer pollutants released into the environment.
Easy recipes that anyone can make
No matter what sort of cooking experience you have, there are some simple recipes that anyone can make that will not only look impressive but taste delicious, here are a few to get you started:
Black Bean Tacos:
- In a pan, sauté diced onions and peppers until softened.
- Add in a can of rinsed and drained black beans and season with taco seasoning.
- Warm up some corn tortillas and fill with the black bean mixture and toppings of your choice, such as lettuce, tomato, and avocado.
Pasta with Roasted Vegetables:
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cut up vegetables of your choice (such as bell peppers, zucchini, and cherry tomatoes) and toss them with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Roast them in the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until they’re tender.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions and toss it with the roasted vegetables.
- Serve with grated vegan cheese.
- Cut up vegetables of your choice (such as broccoli, bell peppers, and carrots) and sauté them in a pan with a little oil and your preferred seasoning.
- Serve over quinoa, rice or noodles.
- In a pot, sauté diced onions, peppers, and garlic until softened.
- Add in canned diced tomatoes, canned kidney beans or black beans, and vegetable broth.
- Enhance the flavour of your dish with a tantalising blend of chili powder, cumin, and salt—season to perfection.
- Simmer for 20-30 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Serve with toppings of your choice, such as shredded vegan cheese, or avocado.
Zucchini Noodles with Pesto:
- Spiralise or peel zucchinis into thin noodles.
- Blanch the zucchini noodles in boiling water for 1-2 minutes, or until they are slightly softened.
- To halt the cooking process, immediately drain and rinse your food with cold water.
- Toss the zucchini noodles with store-bought or homemade pesto sauce.
- Serve as a side dish or add some protein like chickpeas or tofu to make it a full meal.
If you find yourself with a sweet tooth, check out some of these vegan desserts:
Chocolate Chip Cookies:
- Mix together vegan butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar until combined.
- Add in flax seed eggs and vanilla extract.
- Gradually add all-purpose flour, baking soda and salt to the mixture.
- Fold in vegan chocolate chips.
- Place dollops of the mixture on a parchment-covered baking sheet for easy removal.
- Bake at 350ᵒF for 8-10 minutes or until lightly golden brown on the edges.
- Preheat oven to 350ᵒF. Grease a 9×5 inch loaf pan with coconut oil or vegan butter and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, mash banana until creamy.
- Add in vegan butter, maple syrup, almond milk and vanilla extract.
- Whisk together all-purpose flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a separate bowl.
- Carefully blend the dry ingredients into the wet until all components are thoroughly united.
- Carefully pour your batter into the greased loaf pan and bake it in the oven for 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into its center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool before slicing and serving.
Vegan Chocolate Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix together 1 and 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, 1 cup granulated sugar, 1 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix together 1 cup unsweetened almond milk, 1/3 cup vegetable oil, 1 tsp vanilla extract, and 1 tsp apple cider vinegar.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ones and stir until they are blended together.
- Pour the batter into a greased 8-inch round cake pan and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool before frosting with your favourite chocolate frosting recipe.
Transform your diet by incorporating more plant-based foods
Eating healthy doesn’t have to be hard or intimidating—it’s totally possible to incorporate more plant-based foods into your diet! One great starting point is to commit to one meatless meal per week. You can do this by trying out some of the amazing veggie-packed recipes we’ve mentioned. Another way to go plant-based is by adding a green smoothie into your daily routine—it’s an easy and yummy way of getting your daily dose of greens! All you need is some healthy veggies and fruits, plus some protein powder for an added boost if desired.
Making small changes in your diet can have a big impact on your health and the planet
This is a universal truth that is especially pertinent when discussing diets: small adjustments can lead to big impacts. Eating a healthier diet is not only great for your physical and mental wellbeing, but it can also make a huge difference in protecting the planet. Making some simple changes such as switching to organic food or reducing your consumption of animal products will have lasting benefits on the world around us. So don’t be overwhelmed by trying to transform your entire diet overnight – start with accessible changes and watch them snowball into larger overall shifts in your lifestyle. Your body and environment will both thrive with their positive effects.
As you can see, there are many delicious recipes that you can make with plant-based ingredients! With so much variety available at your fingertips, why not give them a try today? Eating plant-based meals isn’t hard – it’s simply delicious! So don’t wait any longer, get creative in the kitchen and start cooking!